Our Mission Statement
The College of Business provides a distinctive learning environment that actively engages students, faculty, and the business community in developing knowledge and skills relevant for success in a complex, global economy.
This environment stimulates student learning and faculty research so that our graduates are able to: a) apply a holistic, integrated approach to business problems; b) apply the communication, leadership, team and technological skills needed to succeed in their business careers; c) understand how to work with people from other cultures and to operate effectively in other countries; and d) understand the social responsibilities of individuals and organizations and evaluate the ethical dimensions of decisions in a business context.
To support this distinctive environment we will:
- Attract and retain nationally recognized faculty, who possess excellent teaching skills, research skills and personal objectives consistent with the mission of the College of Business.
- Encourage, expect, and support faculty scholarship relevant to our mission and stakeholders, consistent with our role in the universitys mission and with an emphasis on contributions to the practice and learning and pedagogical research.
- Cultivate an appreciation of and support for diversity (race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, and ancestry) among faculty, students and staff.
- Provide a supportive environment for faculty and staff that includes training and development opportunities.
- Support the regional service mission of the university by providing graduate education to the region and delivery of the first two years of the business degree.
- Assist our students with finding jobs that are consistent with their education and career interests.
The College of Business is home to a number of innovative centers and institutes that broaden students educational experiences.
- The Center for International Business Education and Development (CIBED) provides students the opportunity to earn class credit while working on real business projects in foreign countries.
- The Global Consulting Program (GCP) prepares students for leadership opportunities in a rapidly changing world. Open to all majors, the GCP brings together the resources of four of the university's top-performing colleges -- Business, Communication, Arts and Sciences, and Engineering -- in an interdisciplinary 30 quarter-hour undergraduate certificate program on global issues, with a strong emphasis on real-world projects and problem solving skills.
- The Sales Centre provides a focal point for leadership in entrepreneurial thinking and sales education. It offers the Sales Certificate, a creative 28-hour cross-disciplinary undergraduate sales curriculum, featuring a dynamic interface with many sales professionals, including the executive members of the Colleges Professional Sales Advisory Board (PSAB).
The College of Business offers a many clubs and organizations that help students develop professional skills and establish networks of friends and potential employers. Many clubs are open to students with an interest in a specific major or professional field and others are honorary, recognizing scholastic and professional excellence.
The faculty of the College of Business includes more than 60 highly qualified professionals. More than 80 percent of the Colleges faculty hold terminal degrees (such as a Ph.D., D.B.A., or J.D.). Many have experience in business and maintain consulting relationships with well-known firms. All are actively involved in either professional organizations, research, or writing to keep in touch with the world of business and industry.
Our Bachelor of Business Administration and Master of Business Administration degrees are accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business. Of the thousands of colleges and universities in the United States offering business degrees, only 319 of them are accredited at both the master’s and bachelor’s degree levels. We are proud to be part of that elite group. The AACSB recognized the College of Business action-learning program in 1996 when they awarded it first-place honors for Innovation and Leadership in Business Education, which resulted in a large grant from Procter & Gamble for further curriculum development.
Our Bachelor of Science in Sport Management is recognized by The Commission on Sport Management Accreditation, a specialized accrediting body that promotes and recognizes excellence in sport management education in colleges at the baccalaureate and graduate levels.